Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 25: beach or bust

So we arrived in Sardinia and the overnight ferry was really great . . . Colin loved it too especially his bunk bed he slept in most of the night. I think I need to find another island to take one of these ferries to next summer; maybe Sicily? Yes, already planning for next summer, LOL.

Now the real adventure was trying to get from the port of Olbia (northeast) to Portoscuso (southwest) . . . no easy task especially when the navigation system in the car tells us that it will take us 12 hours to go 300 kilometers. Finally after much frustration trying to figure out the directions and from a not so cooperative, very tired little boy in the back seat, we finally made it. We met the lady who was giving us the key to the apartment . . . very nice lady but here are some funny tidbits from the first day in town . . .

--We asked the owner what would be considered a local souvenir? canned tuna fish . . . I did not know whether to laugh or if she was that serious. Of course there were many other questions and answers like this . . . I could not look at Alex because I knew I would bust out laughing.

-- After a 5 minute introduction to to the new local digital tv that is being tested in the area due to under population she asked us, "do you speak Italian?" We both answered NO and were told that there is BBC somewhere on here but not sure where and oh this is the Italian Radio station. After she left I decided to scan the channels . . . there were only three and no BBC.

--She warned us there might not be any cold water . . . thought that was odd since all water is cold. The explanation was that the hot water was good but the pipes that carry the cold water to the house are under the street and since it is so warm the street heats that water. Really? There is less water dripping out of the shower than I can spit . . . I mean seriously . . . so I decided there was no sense to even attempt washing my hair.

--There is a beach less that 200 meters from our apartment so we decided to take the little boy to the beach since we have been telling him for two weeks we are headed to the beach . . . we arrive and are the only Americans/Germans there . . . all locals and we were so very white compared to the others . . . I could so see all the eyes staring but never did feel uncomfortable. One old lady continued to tell me in Italian to take my babies shirt off . . . I put one of those swim sun shirts on so he did not totally sun burn the first day.

I am sure there will be more stories over the coming days but I will say it is really nice to be off the beaten path and not in the middle of the hoards of tourist BUT when one is at a beach you really need a properly functioning shower. Oh well . . . guess who is having the most fun?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Colin looks happy!!! and so fun to be the 'only' tourists around...