Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 18: driving day

Today we loaded the car and headed north . . . at least I think it was north but really just listened to the navigation lady guide me . . . man she was good . . . I get so nervous driving in big cities and Munich always makes me nervous.

Anyway, I felt like I was back home . . . I thought about the first time I drove in Germany. I was so scared to drive on the autobahn when we moved over here in 2000. People drive super fast but then again they are so efficient in the rules. My first drive on an autobahn was on the exact same drive I made today . . . from Garmisch to Vilseck. It was not a choice I made but was told that it was time so had to do it. And after that first time it was a piece of cake. I had the exact same feelings today since it had almost been 5 years since I really drove over here. It was like riding a bike . . . you just get on and go . . . in my head before I started I was going over some 'rules' with Alex . . . always pass on the left, right before left, no right on red . . . silly me always worried about little things . . . off we went and as soon as I got going it was so easy. I do miss life in Germany.

I learned last week the train put Colin to sleep and apparently so does the autobahn . . . now why the heck did he not sleep in the car when we lived over here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of just living overseas for a few years. It seems you are so happy when you are traveling over there. But what do I know :)

Unknown said...

He looks so big in that pic...

Yes you could help Rick Steves with all his tours.