Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 3: tour of houses

Well once again we were up way too early (12-2) but back to sleep until way late . . . hit the breakfast table at 10:45 with four others staying at the B&B . . . two young, nice couples from California. Of course Colin so wanted to just talk their ears off and not use his manners at the table so we had a quick breakfast. Today we only had two places to visit . . . Rembrandt House and Anne Frank House. Thought a low key, laid back day was is order.

The Rembrandt House was neat . . . sort of hits you that you are walking around the house where one of the master artist once lived and worked. Once we finished Colin told me, "it's over . . . that wasn't so bad!" We exited and of course he saw a hot dog truck and was excited. So he ate what they called an "American Hot Dog" and fed the pigeons too. Hey if all else fails, give the boy some bread and pigeons will appear. We continued to walk around the city . . . as if we were on a food tour . . . had some ice cream . . . then some french fries . . . man, we are eating so healthy! I swear with all the walking I could loose some pounds but the food entering my mouth isn't going to help. After a break at the hotel we headed to a place that was at the top of my list of 'must see' . . . the house where Anne Frank hid.

Before our reservation we had dinner at The Pancake Bakery while sitting on the Prinsengracht (canal) . . . so nice and food was good too. I loved my ham, cheese, mushroom pancake!

Now the Anne Frank House was more than I imagined. It was far more emotional that I ever expected. When I taught 5th grade we studied her diary so I was some what familiar with it. I swear the minute I walked in the door I could feel my eyes getting all teary. Just knowing what went on in that house was overwhelming. I had explained to Colin where we were going . . . a young girl and her family were hiding in this house so that the bad soldiers would not hurt them. I figured that was all a 5 year old needed to know. Of course the minute we walked in he wanted to see where she was hiding . . . I think he thought she hid in this closet or something. You know I always thought that Anne Frank was a remarkable young girl but now I know she was very amazing . . . so wise and smart beyond her young years . . . it is so sad that she died just a month before the liberation on the concentration camp. I just can't imagine doing what she did for 2 long years. If you ever have the chance to visit it is worth your time . . . reserve a ticket online and go late in the day . . . we went at 6:30pm; it is one of the only places open late and not crowded at all. Now I need to go back and read her diary again.

As we walked back 'home', I thought we were never going to get there . . . then I realized we walked too far. I am not used to being the navigator on a trip but this time it was all up to me . . . two days of success and well, I got us home so all is well that ends well.




In Anne Frank's diary she mentions the bells she hears while in hiding . . . this is the church (Westerkerk) next door to her hiding place.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I am so glad you are writing about your travels. What an amazing place to visit, thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Be careful and have a wonderful time.

Love, Kara

The Mrs. said...

I would love to visit the attic Anne Frank hid in. What an amazing and tragic story.

The pictures were great! Cant wait to read more about your trip.

Unknown said...

i love your narration :)
especially <3 the picture of the church of Anne Frank's 'bells'.