Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 2: feet, boat, train

Well our day started way too early this morning . . . we were both up from about 2-4 but I refused to give in to jet lag . . . I continued to lay so that Colin would not get up too. Apparantly it worked and we both went back to snoozing . . . I woke up at 930 and him at 1015. When we checked in they told me breakfast was from 9-11, I laughed and thought we would never eat breakfast that late . . . well we rolled to the table at 1045. We were both hungry since we did not eat dinner the night before.

I had a plan in my head of what I wanted to do today and was determined to not change that plan . . . even if a 5 year old was less than excited about going to 2 museums on the same day. So off we went; by foot of course because I get so nervous trying to figure out public transporation . . . my overly excited little boy was determined to get us on one on the street cars/trains but onward we marched down one of the beautiful canals in town. Our first stop was the Riijksmuseum. It was large and it did manage to keep the attention of Colin (see photo below taken after the visit) . . . of course I wanted to see The Night Watch by Rembrandt which seemed to be most fascinating to Colin; it was the display of muskets that really had his eyes big. To break the bordem up we hopped on a Canal Cruise to explore the city by boat . . . I wasn't that impressed. We got off and it was time to head to the Van Gogh Museum . . . but I continued to listen to how 'cool' the street cars/trains looked . . . so as Colin would say, "I got brave" and asked someone for help so we could ride instead of walk. Well, talk about easy . . . so 1.60 euro later we were on our way to visit some more masterpieces. You know the one thing I hate about all the museums in no photos . . . I totally understand but I tell you as I watched Colin looking at a painting and listening to the audio guide I so wished I could have snapped a quick photo . . . now who knows if he knew what the heck they were talking about but he sure looked focused! I knew that I was pushing my luck so called it a day by taking the canal cruise boat to a drop off near our hotel.

I am realizing my camera is not taking very good photos . . . but here are two from today.


3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

What an adventure for you two! I couldnt imagine a better partner to travel with.

Sounds like the trip is off to a great start. : )

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing! You make traveling overseas with a kid look so easy..Makes me think that maybe I could do it alone with my daughter!

Unknown said...

I am having so much fun traveling vicariously with the two of you... Val