Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 11: Bergen Norway

We only had one full day to explore Bergen so we headed out early . . . okay so 10 isn't early but nothing really opens until then so why get up early? Of course our hotel was full of those organized groups who were like scavengers at the breakfast buffet . . . I hate when people are like vultures at those things . . . by the way breakfast wasn't all that probably at the bottom of the list for the entire trip . . . but Stockholm had a great breakfast! Anyway . . .

Bergen is a small harbor town with very little to do but so full of tourist because it is where most of the fjords tours begin but there are several museums that we wanted to check out and were really good. One thing I really enjoyed doing was walking through the fish market in an area called Bryggen.

The first stop of the morning was the Mount Floyen funicular to get a bird's eye view of the city! After major renovations it just opened back up in May of this year and it was nice! Again my photos do little justice . . . hmmmm, think I need to buy a new camera!


It was so calming and peaceful to just sit around the harbor . . . watching people, great conversation, and seeing all the boats coming and going along the water.




Oh and if you are wondering, Bergen does have a TGI Friday's and of course for the fifth time we had to stop, LOL . . . come on one of us had a total craving for a little taste of America. And dinner was so good last night we made a reservation and had yet another amazing steak and real baked potato . . . with bacon bits and sour cream; hmmm, maybe this was a trip all about food.

Tomorrow the best part of the trip is waiting . . . I have it so built up in my mind so I hope I am not disappointed . . . hoping for decent weather.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. I am definitely taking notes. Anytime you travel our way give us a shout! We're enjoying exploring France.

Stephanie said...

Heidi....what an awesome adventure! Do I know the person you went with? I love reading about your trip....and OSLO...you know, Winston was frmo there:) HAHA! Did you bring home a St. Bernard:)